It seems like every month a new challenge makes its waves across the internet. Some of these challenges have been harmless (mannequin challenge), some have been painful (push up challenge), while yet others have been downright stupid (Tide pod challenge). All of these challenges consist of the participant taking radical action in a manner far out of the ordinary.
The challenge I propose can be understood in the same terms but with a twist: taking radical inaction in a manner far out of the ordinary.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- Find a quiet space free from distractions.
- Refrain from all activity, including eating, watching TV, scrolling on your smartphone, making weird noises to your pet, and socializing with other human beings.
- Do not speak, sing, or hum (just be quiet).
- No lying down. You can stand or sit, although most people would prefer to sit for 60 minutes.
- You can focus on your breath or any other stimuli in your immediate environment. This includes parakeets singing outside, your air conditioner blowing, and the motor of your essential oils diffuser.
- Man or woman up by waiting out the duration of the hour.
Document your experience with the meditation challenge in the comment section below or on social media using the hashtag #meditationchallenge
I bet most of you can’t do it. if you need motivation, here is a quote to get you going (or better yet, to slow you down).
All of humanity’s problems stem from man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.-Blaise Pascal
Note: Science has discovered that our brains on silence are constantly process information and making us more intelligent (study).